John grew up in Hillsboro, Oregon. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Washington in 1991 with a bachelor’s degree in English. John graduated from Willamette University School of Law in 1994 where he served as the associate editor of the Willamette Law Review. John is licensed to practice law in Oregon and Washington and his practice is limited to representing seriously injured people in cases involving defective and dangerous products, medical malpractice and negligence.
John is a member of The Inner Circle of Advocates. Founded in 1972, The Inner Circle of Advocates is an invitation-only group of 100 of the best trial lawyers in America who are selected for their character, experience and success in the courtroom. The Inner Circle of Advocates was described by The Washington Post as, “A select group of 100 of the nation’s most celebrated trial lawyers” and is recognized as one of the most exclusive groups of attorneys in the nation. Although spread across the country, members work collectively to share experience, skills and knowledge in pursuit of justice.
John is listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America. He has repeatedly ranked in the Top 10 Oregon Lawyers by Oregon Super Lawyers and in the Top 10 of Portland’s Best Lawyers by Portland Monthly magazine. John was also named Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2012-13 and 2014-15 for plaintiff product liability litigation, and again in 2017 & 2019 for Admiralty and Maritime law.
John is a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, American Board of Trial Advocates; International Society of Barristers; American Association for Justice; Attorney Information Exchange Group; Oregon Trial Lawyers Association; Washington State Association for Justice; and Oregon and Washington State Bar Associations. John has also served as an adjunct professor of Advanced Trial Advocacy at Lewis and Clark Law School.
A Strong Track Record Of Success
John has received several million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients, some of which include:
• $13.9 Million against a garbage truck company that traumatically amputated a man’s leg while crossing in a crosswalk
• $12.1 Million against the manufacturer of a defective lathe which caused the death of a young man
• $10 Million against the nation’s largest for-profit medical provider for prisons and jails for the estate of a 26 year-old incarcerated female who was denied medical assistance while suffering from opiate withdrawal resulting in her death
• $7 Million for the death of a young man while working on high energy transmission lines
• $5.475 Million against the manufacturer of a defective pain medication pump which destroyed the cartilage in a man’s shoulder.
• $3 Million for the death of a man killed by a defective road grader
• $1.795 Million verdict for a 49-year-old who suffered lumbar strain and shoulder injury while working aboard a rail car that experienced a severe jolt as a result of defective brakes.
John’s verdict against the pain pump manufacturer was the first verdict in the country holding the manufacturers of defective pain pumps responsible for their dangerous products.
Outside The Courtroom
John enjoys spending time with his family and is also an avid triathlete who has completed several Ironman Triathlons and marathons. John also enjoys fishing and skiing.
John is a former member of the Make-A-Wish Oregon Board of Directors and is actively involved in the community as a volunteer wish granter.
Behind every case, is a person that deserves their day in court.
If you or someone you love was injured because of someone else's negligence, Paulson Coletti wants to hear from you.