Russ Hixson was born in Des Moines, Iowa, and has lived there all his life. After graduating from Hoover High School in 1981, he attended The University of Iowa, where he obtained his accounting degree in 1986. He then attended The University Of Iowa College Of Law and graduated in 1989. His fields of practice include medical malpractice and personal injury. He has a deep conviction for helping individuals and families that are suffering financially, emotionally and physically from the effects of medical injuries or injuries caused by motor vehicle and truck accidents. He is a member of the American Bar Association and The Iowa State Bar Association. He is a sustaining member of the American and Iowa Associations for Justice and served on the Board of Governors for the Iowa Association for Justice for three years. He is a Member of The National Trial Lawyers "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" and has been recognized by the American Institute of Legal Counsel as one of the "10 Best Attorneys" for the state of Iowa. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and has been selected for the "Lifetime Achievement Award" by America's Top 100 Attorneys.
Areas Of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- 100 percent of practice devoted to litigation
- Iowa, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 1994
- The University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- J.D. — 1989
- Honors: With Distinction
- The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- B.A. — 1986
- Major: Accounting
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 181100 (S.D. IA 2016)
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 765 F.3d 914 (8th Cir. 2014)
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 191747 (S.D. IA 2012)
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 822 N.W.2d 745, 2012 WL 4513865 (Table) (Iowa App. 2012)
- United States, ex rel. Hixson v. Health Management Systems, 613 F.3d 1186 (8th Cir. 2010)
- Orgovanyi v. Henry County Health Center, 797 N.W.2d 131 (Table) 2010 WL 5394785 (Iowa App. 2010)
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 771 N.W.2d 651 (Table) 2009 WL 1211868 (Iowa App. 2009)
- Shelter Mut. Ins. Co. v. Davis, 753 N.W.2d 18 (Table) 2008 WL 2200082 (Iowa App. 2008)
- Featherstone v. Hy-Vee, Inc., 720 N.W.2d 191 (Table) 2006 WL 1231662 (Iowa App. 2006)
- Shelter Mut. Ins. Co. v. Davis, 715 N.W.2d 769 (Table) 2006 WL 929239 (Iowa App. 2006)
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 718 N.W.2d 290 (Iowa 2006)
- Baker v. Board of Adjustment, City of Johnston, 671 N.W.2d 405 (Iowa 2003)
- Davidson v. Countryman, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12943 (S.D. Iowa 2002)
- ACCO Unlimited Corp. v. City of Johnston, 611 N.W.2d 506 (Iowa 2000)
- State ex rel. Goettsch v. Diacide Distributors, Inc., 596 N.W.2d 532 (Iowa 1999)
- Swanson v. Van Otterloo, 177 F.R.D. 645 (N.D. Iowa 1998)
- Swanson v. Van Otterloo, 993 F. Supp. 1224 (N.D. Iowa 1998)
- Johnson v. Johnson, 564 N.W.2d 414 (Iowa 1997)
- State ex rel. Goettsch v. Diacide Distributors, Inc., 561 N.W.2d 369 (Iowa 1997)
- Haupt v. Miller, 514 N.W.2d 905 (Iowa 1994)
- Houghton v. Sipco, Inc., 828 F.Supp. 631 (S.D.Iowa 1993)
Professional Associations And Memberships
- The Iowa State Bar Association, July 1989 to present.
- Polk County Bar Association, July 1989 to present.
- American Association for Justice, July 1989 to present.
- Iowa Association for Justice, July 1989 to present.
- American Bar Association, July 1989 to present.